In the Times of Shots and Shells: Early Contacts between the Rockefeller Foundation and the Dominican Republic, 1911-1946

by Neici Zeller

Jan 1, 2009
The Rockefeller Archive Center holds a large number of documents pertaining to the years between 1920 -- the time of the first visit by an International Health Board/ Division (IHB/D) staff member, Dr. John Grant -- and 1946 -- the year in which the Dominican government signed a cooperative agreement with the Rockefeller Foundation (RF). There are also a large number of documents for the period after World War II, the Cold War years, which were also crucial to the development of public health and sanitation in the Dominican Republic with input from various international agencies, including the RF. This report will sketch out the earlier period of the relationship between the Rockefeller Foundation and the Dominican government, as background to the very complex role that the RF came to play in the transformation of the structure of the health-care system in the Dominican Republic from a mostly private endeavor to an exclusively state-managed system in the decades between 1930 and 1960.
Linked Data show/hide